• Mail us :


Reed Hall Gardens University of Exeter

Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.

  • Devon
  • 01392-725219
  • reedhall@exeter.ac.uk
  • Home
  • Garden's Finder
  • Garden's Detail

Streatham Farm, Prince of Wales Road, Exeter,
Devon, EX4 4QR




Listed By
User Image

2018-01-23 09:58:23

Opening Days and Hours
Dates/days/times open:

All year round

Parties/Coaches: Yes

Coaches only.

Group Appointment: Yes
House Open for Viewing: No
National Garden Scheme days: No
Best Times of Year to Visit:


To see:

Azaleas, camellias and rhododendrons.

Admission Prices

£5 which includes parking, tea and coffee on arrival and 1-1.5 hour tour

Onsite Facilities
Parking: Yes
Shop: No
Teas: Yes
Dogs Allowed: No
Lavatories: Yes
Plants for Sale: No
Refreshment: Yes
On Lead only: Yes
Disabled Access: Yes
Lunches: Yes
Picnics: Yes
Special Events: Yes
Other Facilities & Comments:

Disabled access limited, call for info.

Garden Features & Events
English Heritage/Visit Scotland Garden Grade:
National Collection:


Nearby Cambridgeshire Hotels, Facilities & Amenities

Hotels & Accommodation:

St. Olave's Court Hotel Great Western Hotel, Bonhay Rd, Exeter Royal Clarence


Hotel Barcelona Lamb's Golsworthy Restaurant

Inns & Pubs:

Ship Inn

Villages / Towns / Sightseeing:


Description of Garden

The University central estate is around 300 acres, situated on hills to the North-West of Exeter. There are three streams flowing down valleys which have been dammed to create a series of ponds. The campus is heavily planted with a wide range of trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants to create a botanical landscape. It includes a series of lakes, some wingnut trees dating from 1860 and palm trees from ten years earlier. The Azaras, evergreens with scented yellow flowers from Chile, will form the National Collection.

History Of Garden

The original 15 acre Victorian garden was designed by Veitch during the 1860's for an East India Company 'nabob'.

The vast majority of the estate was designed by various architects and landscape architects to the brief provided by the University since the 1920's.