Bradenham Hall is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.

  • Norfolk
  • 01362 687279
  • Home
  • Garden's Finder
  • Garden's Detail

Bradenham, Thetford,
Norfolk, IP25 7QP

01362 687279

Listed By
User Image

2018-01-04 03:34:22

Opening Days and Hours
Dates/days/times open:

Only open for groups. Price is £300 for a group, includes tea/coffee & cake

Parties/Coaches: Yes
Group Appointment: Yes
House Open for Viewing: No
National Garden Scheme days: No
Best Times of Year to Visit:

April June, July

To see:

Daffodils / Trees Roses / Herbaceous

Admission Prices

Group price only £300

Onsite Facilities
Parking: Yes
Shop: No
Teas: No
Dogs Allowed: No
Lavatories: No
Plants for Sale: No
Refreshment: Yes
On Lead only: Yes
Disabled Access: Yes
Lunches: No
Picnics: No
Special Events: No
Other Facilities & Comments:
Garden Features & Events

Amazing arboretum of over 800 different trees, all labelled.

English Heritage/Visit Scotland Garden Grade:
National Collection:
Nearby Cambridgeshire Hotels, Facilities & Amenities

Hotels & Accommodation:

The George, Dereham

Inns & Pubs:

Ostrich Inn, Castle Acre George & Dragon, Newton

Villages / Towns / Sightseeing:
Description of Garden

The 27-acre gardens are situated on one of Norfolk's few high points and although the position affords a lovely view to the south over surrounding farmland, the site is consequently very windy. Therefore the owners have protected the long herbaceous borders, the shrubs and the Philosophers' Walk by stout yew hedges. These also shelter the paved garden, a large old fashioned rose garden and other borders containing a plantsman's collection. On the house and garden walls are grown a wide range of shrubs, climbers and fruit. There is a walled kitchen garden, an attractive old barn and the millennium aviary. The arboretum, which was only started in 1955, has many rare and interesting specimens, underplanted with many types of naturalised daffodils.

History Of Garden

Bradenham Hall is an early Georgian house, more in the Queen Anne Style, facing almost due south. Built in about 1740, it had been owned principally by the Smyth, Haggard and Penrose families until 1951, when the Allhusens bought it, together with 1500 acres of surrounding land and woods.

In the 1940's it was occupied by various army units, one of which left a legacy of numerous heaps of empty tins and literally thousands of broken glass medicine bottles in many parts of the garden, particularly on the west side. Several dozen concrete Nissen hut foundations were an unwanted additional burden. A number of local people thought that the house could never be properly renovated and lived in again. A start was made by taking practically the whole roof off. Other than the disused and weed-ridden walled garden and courtyard, there was no garden extant. There were also about 200 wasp and hornet nests to be removed.

2018 Garden Season

Over 650 Open Gardens online
NOW compatible with Tablets, Smartphones and Desktop

Please consider a small donation to support