• Mail us :


Rousham House

Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.

  • Oxford
  • 01869 347 110
  • ccd@rousham.org
  • Home
  • Garden's Finder
  • Garden's Detail

Nr. Steeple Aston, Bicester,
Oxford, OX25 4QX

01869 347 110

01869 347 110


Listed By
User Image

2018-01-23 11:08:48

Opening Days and Hours
Dates/days/times open:

Daily all year; 10am - 4.30pm, last entry.

Parties/Coaches: Yes
Group Appointment: Yes
House Open for Viewing: Yes

only open by prior arrangement to groups of 12 people+.

National Garden Scheme days: No
Best Times of Year to Visit:
To see:
Admission Prices

Garden: Adult £7; Children under 15 can not be admitted. House: £12, incl. garden Groups: min charge £100, any day May - Sept incl.

Onsite Facilities
Parking: Yes
Shop: No
Teas: No
Dogs Allowed: No
Lavatories: Yes
Plants for Sale: No
Refreshment: No
On Lead only: No
Disabled Access: Yes
Lunches: No
Picnics: Yes
Special Events: No
Other Facilities & Comments:
Garden Features & Events

William Kent Garden

English Heritage/Visit Scotland Garden Grade:
National Collection:
Nearby Cambridgeshire Hotels, Facilities & Amenities

Hotels & Accommodation:

Holt Hotel, Steeple Aston Falkland Arms, Great Tew

Inns & Pubs:

Horse and Groom, Caulcott Falkland Arms, Great Tew Red Lion, Steeple Aston

Villages / Towns / Sightseeing:
Description of Garden

Rousham represents the first phase of English landscape design and remains almost as Kent left it. It is one of the few gardens of this date to have escaped alteration, with many features which delighted eighteenth century visitors to Rousham still in situ, such as ponds and cascades in Venus' Vale, the Cold Bath, and seven arched Praeneste, Townsend's Building, the Temple of the Mill, and on the skyline, a sham ruin known as the 'Eyecatcher'. There is also a lovely walled garden with herbaceous borders, a small parterre, pigeon house and espalier apple trees.

History Of Garden

Rousham House and its gardens are largely the work of William Kent (1685-1748).
The house, originally built in 1635 by Sir Robert Dormer, is still in the ownership of the same family. Kent added the wings and stable block and made alterations to the interior.