Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
Please check with garden owners or their website to confirm current dates open
All year; 7 days a week; Sept - Easter; 9am - 4.30;
Easter - July, 9am - 6pm;
August, 9 - 8pm.
Yes, up to 54
17 tour required
April - Sept.
High quality bedding schemes Orchids, rainforest.
Band concerts and children's entertainment throughout August as part of Botanics in Bloom
Ornamental gardens with many first introductions into the UK Herb garden, vegetable garden Herbaceous borders and rock gardens Desert House and Tropical House
Gower Heritage Coast Brecon Beacons
The herbaceous border, planted in 1921, greets you warmly as you enter the garden. In the central rectangle, the display beds have collections of iris, dahlias, chrysanthemums, sweet peas, carnations, asters, delphiniums and penstemons. Other beds display high quality bedding schemes. The Japanese Bridge spans the waterfall and is surrounded by dwarf Japanese acers. The herb garden features many Mediterranean plants and the Rock garden is in the process of regeneration as many plants have outgrown their original sites. The garden feature collections of magnolias, camellias and an internationally famous collection of rhododendrons. There is also an Archery lawn, lily ponds, and a bog garden.
Veranda House was purchased by John Henry Vivian in 1847 for his son Henry Hussey Vivian and his wife Jessie. Sadly, Jessie died a year later after giving birth to their son and as a result Henry resolved not to live in the house, so by 1853 only the estate lodge remained, the principal part of Veranda House having been dismantled. The Singleton Estate amalgamated a dozen farms into its 250 acres and by 1851 the Walled garden had become the kitchen and flower garden serving the needs of the Vivian family. Henry Hussey Vivian lived in part of the estate, now called the Ornamental Gardens, and his wife Sarah, who was an enthusiastic gardener, was the driving force behind the plant collections. The County Borough Council purchased the estate in 1919 for use as a public park, at the instigation of Daniel Bliss who had trained at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and who from 1920 oversaw the transformation of the park and garden.