Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
From April 1st 2017, daily; 10am - 5pm. 01748823571 until Oct 21 2017
Throughout the opening period
Roses, hostas, clematis
£2.50 Garden guide £1. RHS members free with Membership Card.
RHS Associate Garden. Featured Gardeners' World Summer 2012 Alan Titchmarsh Britain's Best Gardens 2015. Good Hotel Guide Editor's Pick 2017 B&B at Millgate House or self-catering Coach House.
Millgate was selected by Alan Titchmarsh ....Britains 30 Best Gardens....
Hostas, ferns, pots, clematis and snowdrops.
Winner of Daily Mail/RHS National Garden Competition 2005.
Featured in BBC Gardener's World 2005
The garden at Millgate House won the first National Royal Horticultural Society/ Daily Mail National Garden Competition out of 3200 entries.Good Gardens Guide.
Millgate House Sandpiper Inn, Leyburn
Rustique, Richmond King's Head Richmond
Black Bull Inn, Moulton Sandpiper Inn, Leyburn
Richmond Town, Castle and Georgian theatre
Description of Garden:Walled town garden packed with plants
Behind the facade of a lovely Georgian town house in the centre of Richmond lies a small but beautiful plantsman's garden with views over the River Swale, and its waterfalls, to the Cleveland Hills beyond. This garden won the Royal Horticultural/Daily Mail National Garden Award in 1995 and has been firmly in the public eye ever since. It has been described by Stephen Lacey as one of the lovliest shrub rose gardens in Britain. One of its most endearing characteristics is that it is still well worth visiting through to the late autumn. Clever design means that an extraordinary wealth of plants are present even in such a compact space.
Millgate House was built in the 1720's, possibly for a butcher who left it to his son in 1730 . It was later owned by the mayor of Richmond, Fowler Hicks. In 1812 John Hobson, whose initials are carved on the keystone at the bottom of the garden, acquired the property, re-modelled the house and bought the garden of the house next door. The house was a doctors' surgery from 1900 until the present owners, Austin Lynch and Tim Culkin both teachers from Richmond School, acquired it in 1980 and converted it back into a comfortable house whilst retaining the original Georgian and Regency features. They replanted the gardens and in 1990 converted the derelict Coach House into a spacious five-bedroomed, three-storey house, which, together with the main house provides luxurious bed and breakfast accommodation.