Audley End House & Gardens
tel: 01799 522 842
Garden owners: Please correct this page as needed - Update instructions here.
Email: audleyendhouse //at// english-heritage.org.uk
|Please consider a small donation to Gardens-Guide.com, thanks.
(Secure site: Accepts all Credit & Debit cards as well as PayPal)
|Opening Days and Hours|
17 Feb - 23 Feb: Daily 10am-4pm
/ Coaches: Yes
/ Coaches need Appointment: Yes
Pre-booked guided tours
Open for Viewing: Yes
Garden Scheme days: No
Best Times of Year to Visit:
All Year round
Enjoy a great day out at one of England's grandest stately homes; Audley End House.
The doors of our restored historic stables recently opened, complete with resident horses and a Victorian groom. Our stables experience includes an exhibition where you can find out about the workers who lived on the estate in the 1880s, the tack house and the Audley End fire engine. Try our dressing up clothes in the stables and meet our horses, Duke and Jack, too.
Children can let loose in our fun themed play area next to our Cart Yard Cafˇ which is always very popular with visitors.
Audley End House itself is a magnificent house, built to entertain royalty, and includes a Victorian Service Wing complete with kitchen, laundries and a dairy.
With beautiful grounds to explore, including an impressive formal garden and the working Organic Kitchen Garden, there's so much to see and do at Audley End House.
|Adult £13.40, Child (5-15 yrs) £8.00, Concessions £12.10
Family (2 Adults, 3 Children) £34.80
English Heritage Members Free
Disabled Access: Yes
Plants for Sale: Yes
Light Refreshment: Yes
On Lead only: Yes
Special Events: Yes
Facilities & Comments:
Craft and Food Show
|Garden Features & Events|
|Lancelot 'Capability' Brown landscape, Adam bridge, 1830's parterre, organic walled kitchen garden
Jacobean House with Robert Adam rooms, Canalettos etc.
Archaeologically surveyed & restores Fish Hatchery and Historic kitchen with displays of utensils
|English Heritage Garden Grade: I|
|Description of Garden||
Designer: 'Capability' Brown
|Beautiful 'Capability' Brown designed landscape with a parterre, now restored, planted on the south side of the house in the 1830's. The River Cam winds through the grounds and is used to create a cascade, a pond garden and is crossed by a lovely Robert Adam designed bridge and by a Palladian Tea House. Other spectacular monuments include a "Temple of Concord" built to celebrate George III's (temporary) recovery from madness and several other follies designed and sited to draw the eye down a particular vista. The organic kitchen garden, a joint venture between between English Heritage and the Henry Doubleday Research Organisation, was opened in 2000 by Prince Charles and is laid out in a huge area surrounded by old brick walls. The 16th century brick stables to the south of it are older and more attractive than the house itself. The Mount garden, originally designed to allow guests at the house to promenade in the garden, viewing it from a height, is also scheduled to be restored.|
|History of Garden|
|This is an ancient site which was originally owned by a Benedictine Abbey. An enormous house, with expansive formal gardens, was built for Thomas Howard, the admiral who commanded the British fleet against the Armada and was later created Earl of Suffolk. It was acquired by Charles II in 1669, James I having previously described it as "too large for a King, but might do for a Lord Treasurer!". The vast wings on the house, which marched towards the River Cam, were pulled down after Sir John Griffin Griffin (later 1st Lord Braybrooke) bought the property in the mid-18th century. He favoured a more naturalistic approach and commissioned 'Capability Brown' to discard the formal rectangular layout and landscape the gardens and park very much as it appears today. The 3rd Lord Braybrooke planted the parterre in the 1830's. The property was acquired by English Heritage after WWII.|
|Nearby Essex Hotels, Facilities & Amenities|
|Inns & Pubs:
||Villages / Towns
0193_AudleyEnd.jpg - Audley End House & Gardens (Essex)