Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
Please check with garden owners or their website to confirm current dates open
Garden: 1st Jan to 31st Mar, and 1st Nov - 31st Dec, daily 10am -3pm; 1st Apr - 31 October, daily, 10 - 5.
Please see the web site or phone for details.
Yes, but pre-booking recommended and essential for claiming group discount.
Guides to lead groups need to be booked in advance - except for free guided walks held at 1.30pm, Mon - Fri, Apr - Sept.
tbc see NTS website
April - September
Rhododendrons Meconopsis Colour all year
Adult £10; Concession £7; Family £23.50; Family (1parent) £17.50; Group £7
Ranger-led walks in surrounding estate. Shaded parking for dog owners. Dog friendly Pinewood Trail which is stock free. Lavatories open when visitor services are open.
Events see website. A 54 acre (21 ha) Garden. One of the most picturesque walled gardens in the country with woodland walks, many of them wheelchair-accessible. There is a diverse plant collection.Four-time Visit Scotland award. Gold Green Tourism award
Brachyglottis; Olearia; Rhododendron subsections Barbata, Glischra & Maculifera.
Please call Tourist Information Centre in Gairloch 01445 712130
The garden is amongst the finest in Europe, and is one of the best-known and most visited gardens in Scotland (c. 100,000 visitors p.a.) It is set on the slopes - mainly south-facing - of a peninsula of Torridonian sandstone jutting out into Loch Ewe. It has an idiosyncratic walled garden, and a lawn, herbaceous border and rockery in front of the mansion house. Otherwise it is principally a woodland garden, with a wide array of trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants set within a mixed canopy of sheltering trees. There are ponds, glades and viewpoints out to the magnificent coastal and mountain scenery that surround the garden. It is regarded as a nationally important 'work of art' in An Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland (1987).
The site was a barren headland, sheep-grazed, until bought for Osgood Mackenzie by his mother in 1863. They first built a house, with a driveway to it below which was set a curving walled garden created from a former raised beach. There was some initial planting in the early 1860's, but it was probably not until later that decade that widespread planting of a woodland shelter-belt began. From c1890 onwards, major planting of exotic plants - eg rhododendron species then being newly introduced from China/Himalayas - started in clearings created within the developing woodland. Development was continued by Mairi Sawyer, Osgood's daughter. Her two husbands and two sons all pre-deceased her, so in 1952 she finally offered the garden and 2,000 acres of surrounding estate to the National Trust for Scotland, with an endowment and support from the Pilgrim Trust, to ensure its future.