Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
Please check with garden owners or their website to confirm current dates open Apr - mid-Oct; open 7 days a week 10.00am - 5.00pm. in aid of NGS Visitors also welcome by appointment
Group visits by appointment
3rd Sunday in May
Adult £4; Child £0.50. Must be accompanied by adult.
Teas & Light refreshments on NGS days and for groups by prior arrangement. Limited access for the disabled. Guide dogs only.
Five acre garden and wild flower meadows. Spring bulbs, magnolias, rhododendrons, azaleas, herbaceous borders, potager, lily ponds and parterre. Many rare shrubs and trees. New woodland walk.
Good B & B in next village Hotel in Loughborough
Two good restaurants in village.
Three good inns serving food in village.
Beacon Hill in village Woodhouse Eaves Bradgate Park Newton Linford
A secret garden hidden behind a high wall which protects the many rare plants that thrive there is to be found in this charming Leicestershire village. The terraced lawns, flanked by herbaceous borders, lead to a fine informal woodland garden, underplanted with bulbs, magnolias, camellias, massed rhododendrons, azaleas and other flowering shrubs. Elsewhere there are three lily ponds, a parterre, a potager and a large collection of penstemons. The adjacent wildflower meadow is also pretty in late spring. Organic methods are used in both the garden and the meadow and there is an abundance of wildlife.
The house dates from the 17th century or earlier but the garden was started in earnest by a Col. Heygate who, in the early 1930's purchased the whole of the Waterer's stand of rhododendrons and azaleas when the Royal Agricultural Show came to Leicester. He left his gardener to guard it overnight and collected it by horse and cart the next day! This formed the perimeter of the garden. After WWII George and Marian Johnson bought the property and planted many interesting trees and shrubs and then began to open the garden to the public in the 1950's. The present owners, Mr. J.T. Oakland and Miss P. Johnson, took over the care of the garden fifteen years ago and it since then it has been regularly featured in the Press and on TV. They purchased the property in 2000.