Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
Overbeck's House & Garden open daily 14 February to 1 November 11am to 5pm
Max 24 seater
As above dates and times
Adult £8, child £4, family £20, family (1 adult) £12 Group £6.80
Dogs allowed on coastal walks from car park. Various events throughout the year (see own website)
Luxuriant coastal garden surrounding elegant Edwardian house with diverse collections; Eclectic and wonderful collections of scientist and inventor Otto Overbeck; Lovely subtropical garden, an exotic haven; Spectacular views over sea and estuary; Search for Fred, the friendly ghost; Quizzes and trails. Visit the Garden exhibition to learn how the garden has evolved over the years to the present day.
Staunton Lodge, Kingsbridge
Sloop Inn, Bantham
Spectacularly situated beside the Salcombe Estuary, the garden at Overbecks enjoys a mild micro-climate which provides the ideal growing conditions for many tender plants. The garden is a series of enclosures and terraces laid out at the beginning of the twentieth century and subsequently planted with sub-tropical plants from around the world. An exotic note is struck right at the entrance by an avenue of Chusan Palms (Trachycarpus fortunei) which are also planted throughout the garden. The borders near the house contain South African plants, such as Crinum and Agapanthus and Echium pininana, with its incredible 16ft tall lavender-blue flower spikes.
The formal area of the garden is presided over by a bronze statue of a girl surrounded by four herbaceous borders which are a riot of colour in summer. Another small garden beyond looks down upon a parterre of dwarf box and coloured gravel, where orange and lemon trees in pots are placed in the summer and banana trees (Musa basjoo) grow throughout the year. Many tender plants add to the exotic feel though native wildflowers are not forgotten; in spring, bluebells, primroses, anemones and daffodils grow on the rough grass banks. The most spectacular sight in this garden is undeniably the flowering of the one hundred year old Magnolia campbelli; its deep pink blossoms making an exhilarating appearance in late Winter.
Edric Hopkins designed the basic layout of walls that divide the site into small enclosures in the early 1900s. Mr and Mrs George Medlicott Vereker extended the planting after purchasing the property in 1913 and Otto Overbeck developed and expanded it from 1928 onwards, boasting that he grew bananas, oranges and pomegranates in the open garden and have 3,000 palm trees planted in my woods and garden in a letter to a friend in 1933.
'Sharpitor', was the original name for Overbeck's when it was built by Mr & Mrs Vereker, who, in memory of their son, killed in the WW1, offered their new home to the Red Cross Society to be used as a Voluntary Aid Hospital for the treatment of convalescent British and allied troops.