Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
Please check with garden owners or their website to confirm current dates open.
1 Jan - 31 Dec, 7-7, Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
Closes dusk if earlier. Open till 9 June to Aug
Castle courtyard, & Tower, garden*, tea-room, shops
1 Feb - 31 Mar, 10-4 Mo Tu We Th, Fr Sa Su
1 Apr - 30 Sep, 10-5 Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
1 Oct - 2 Nov, 10-4 Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
8 Nov - 7 Dec, 11-3 Sa, Su
13 Dec - 21 Dec, 11-4 Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
26 Dec - 1 Jan, 11-3 Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
* Garden open till 6 April - Sept
1 Mar - 31 Mar ** 12-4 Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
1 Apr - 30 Sep ** 12-5 Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
1 Oct - 2 Nov ** 12-4 Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
3 Nov - 7 Dec*** 11-3 Sa Su
13 Dec - 21 Dec **** 11-4 Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
26 Dec - 1 Jan***** 11-3 Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
**Highlights guided tours 11-12noon, limited numbers
***Conservation guided tours only, limited numbers
**** State rooms dressed for Christmas, some Christmas event activities weekends only.
***** East wing rooms only
Last admission to Garden & Tower 1hr before closing. Last admission to state rooms 1/2hr before closing.
Preferably Pre-booked (1691 777701)
1 Mar - 31 Mar 10am-4pm daily
1 Apr - 30 Sep 10am-5pm daily
1 Oct - 3 Nov 10am-4pm daily
7 Dec - 22 Dec 10am-4pm daily
State rooms by guided tour only 11am to 12 noon, free-flow 12 noon to closing.
State rooms close at 4pm in March and October. Last admission 30 minutes before closing.
22nd June normal admission times and charges.
April - June July - Oct Feb
Rhododendrons, magnolias, azaleas and daffodils
Roses, herbaceous plants, rock garden
Snowdrops - Special opening, phone for information.
(Gift Aid price, Standard price)
Adult 10.50, 9.45
Child 5.25, 4.73
Family 26.25, 23.62
Group Adult 7.50, Child 3.75
Adult 5.25, 4.73
Child 2.63, 2.37
Family 13.13, 11.82
Group Adult 3.80, Child 1.90
Dogs on lead and only in car park, picnics also only in car park and Castle courtyard, not in garden.
New Woodland Walk for less able visitors and the visually impaired, which links to full woodland walk.
Major re-servicing project of the castle under way. Access to some areas may be restricted at times and some items may be removed from display.
Magnificent medieval fortress of the Welsh Marches; The last Edward I Welsh castle still lived in today; 700 years of history on one site; Award-winning gardens with thatched 'Hawk House', shrub garden, lime tree avenue and yew topiary; Circular woodland walk through the medieval hunting park; Stunning location with views over nine counties.
Hand Hotel, Chirk village Lord Morton, Gledrid
Bull Inn, Shocklach, E. of Wrexham
Poachers Pocket, Gledrid
Bridge Inn, Chirk
Swan Inn, Pontfadog
Aqueduct & viaduct in Chirk village
Glyn Valley 'A little piece of Heaven on Earth' - Lloyd George
The views from this site compensate for its exposed nature, though belts of massive oaks provide enough protection to prevent you from being swept off your feet on windy Welsh days. The amazing topiary also provides protection for the beautifully planted borders and shrubberies with masses of roses sheltering in a sunken garden. Other trees such as a weeping Silver Lime with its delicious scent, purple-leaved beech, larch and cedar augment the lawns. There is a well planted rock bank, a thatched Hawk House, a legacy of the de Waldens', a shrub garden and banks of rhododendrons and azaleas amongst the magnolias, handkerchief tree, dogwoods and pieris.
Chirk Castle was built in 1310 as one of a string of defensive fortresses against the defeated Welsh. It is on a natural strongpoint with the river below on two sides and a view across up to 14 neighbouring counties. It has long been converted to a comfortable home lived in by the Myddleton family since 1595. William Emes landscaped the park in 1764 and built a pavilion on the Terrace from which to take in the panoramic views. The immense castellated and coned yews on the lawns, which take two gardeners two and a half months to prune, were planted in the late 19th century. Norah Lindsay, the famous garden designer, suggested to Lord & Lady Howard de Walden, who leased the castle from 1911-1946, that they be let to grow to their present size.