Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
Please check with garden owners or their website to confirm current dates open
Open 1st January to 18th February Saturday and Sunday, 11 to 3:30 (excluding house).
19th Feb - 27th Feb; daily; 11am - 5.30pm - as all below.
1st Mar - 6th Apr; Sat - Wed;
9th Apr - 24th Apr; daily
25th Apr - 29th May; Sat - Wed;
30th May - 5th Jun; daily
6th Jun - 24th Jul; Sat - Wed;
25th Jul - 4th Sep; daily
5th Sep - 23rd Oct; Sat - Wed;
24th Oct - 30th Oct; daily
5th Nov - 18th Dec; Sat & Sun
Last admission to house 4:30. House and restaurant closes 5.
Whole property open 26 and 27 December.
June July Sept/Oct
Herbaceous borders Lavender Fruit
Gift Aid Admission (Standard Admission prices in brackets)
Summer: adult £8.80 (£8), child £4.40 (£4), family £21 (£19).
Summer Thursday and Friday: adult £6.30 (£5.70), child £3.20 (£2.80), family £15.80 (£14.30).
Winter: adult £6 (£5.30), child £3 (£2.50), family £15 (£13.30).
Reduced rate when arriving by bicycle. Special rates and exemptions for school and community groups
Many events - see www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-beningbroughhallandgardens
18th-century house with interactive galleries and National Portrait Gallery paintings. Grounds and working walled garden; Dramatic Georgian mansion with one of Britain's finest baroque interiors; In partnership with National Portrait Gallery, Beningbrough has more than 100 famous paintings and seven interpretation galleries with hands-on actvities; Fantastic Wilderness play area, with large fort; Functioning walled garden, which supplies produce to the restaurant; Many events, activity days and evening concerts. Special restaurant evenings, such as 'Starters and Desserters' clubs; Making Faces: 18th-century Style. Beningbrough Hall in partnership with the National Portrait Gallery, houses more than 100 paintings and has seven new portrait interpretation galleries.
Three Hares, Bilborough
Crown, Great Ouseburn
Dawnay Arms, Newton on Ouse
The early plans of the Hall show it at the centre of avenues radiating out in a formal landscape design but this was soon replaced by a more natural scheme with open parkland and clumps of trees. The Walled Garden is now less of a garden for the kitchen in order to save labour, but still features a range of fruit on its walls and the original pear alley in its centre. Elsewhere double borders have an Edwardian theme with cool midsummer colours of whites and blues repeating along their length. In the two small Formal Gardens one has cobbles and York flagstones, and the other box hedging enclosing miniature roses. A delightful and restful garden.
The estate records are lost but it is known that the Head Gardener was the very capable Thomas Foster from 1827 onwards. Soon after 1913 a Lime Avenue was planted. After 1916 the Earl & Countess of Chesterfield owned the property and, being keen racehorse and stud owners, ensured that the main feature of the garden, the long South border, was in full bloom in late September for the St. Leger meeting at Doncaster.