Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
Garden only; 13th Feb - 13th Dec; every day 10.30am - 5pm, closes at dusk if earlier. Last admission 30mins before closing.
Please call ahead to make a group booking.
Please email or call to arrange an appointment.
Please check website for detailed opening times.
Every season brings new reasons to visit, check the website for more information and highlights.
Fernery, annual bedding, mixed borders, fruit trees, vegetable patch, historic terraces.
Adult £8.50, Child £4.25, Family £21.25. Groups (15+) Adult £8.45, Child £4.20
Garden only: Adult £4.05, Child £2, Family £10.10. Groups (15+) Adults £4, Child £1.90
Donation box for church
Limited Disabled access. Dogs on lead in Home Paddock/Car park only. Also picnics there only.
After completing the reinstatement of the Sun dial Terrace last year and a fernery in the Green Court, this year we are starting on the second phase of the Garden Restoration which incorporates the top terrace. This involves reinstating five beds in each of the lawns, four round beds in each corner with one diamond in the centre all planted with seasonal bedding. The croquet lawn was previously screened from view from the top terrace by a yew hedge planted in the 1980. A croquet set is now available to borrow so the lawn can once again be used for its intended purpose!
Kings Arms, Farthingstone
Royal Oak, Eydon
George & Dragon, Chacombe
A lovely romantic garden set in rolling Northamptonshire countryside surrounding a very elegant old country house faced in the attractive golden-brown stone of that area. The terraces, now restored by the National Trust are full of fruit bushes, vines, and apple trees mixed with flowers and shrubs. Remarkably one of the original four great cedars planted in 1781 still survives, guarding the main axis leading down past lawns, roses, yews and lilacs to the Lion Gates with their fine Baroque gate piers. Beyond these an avenue of limes connects the garden to the fine and surprisingly large church and passes the wild flower gardens. The West Court containing eight topiary yews was once the main entrance to the house but its sweep of lawn, espaliered walls and charming statue of a shepherd boy demonstrate the elegance of an early 18th century garden.
An old Tudor house with a pele tower was refaced by Edward Dryden in 1710 though he had begun work on the garden in 1708 using a simple but elegant and dignified design with walls to shelter the plants from the winds, and terraces and avenues leading down towards the church, lake and into the park. The National Trust faced a difficult task in restoring this garden to its former grandeur but was aided by articles and photographs in 'Country Life' and earlier publications on garden design around the turn of the 20th century, which lauded Canons Ashby for the simple formality of its layout.