Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
Open every day in main season - 1st March to 31st October. Gardens open at 10am, house at 11am. Refreshments from 10am. Plant sales and shop from 11am. Parkland/woodland open all year.
Pre-booking essential Coaches must be booked in advance
House opens at 11am. Closes at 5pm during March and October, at 5.30pm in the intervening months.
Throughout the year
Rhododendrons, magnolia, camellias and tulips in spring. Herbaceous borders, roses and colourful parterres during summer. Autumn colour.
Adult house & garden gift aid £13.95, standard £12.65. Children house & garden gift aid £6.95, standard £6.30. Family of 2 adults + 3 children gift aid £34.80, standard £31.60. Garden only tickets available.
Dogs allowed in the parkland/woodland. Disabled access to house. Wheelchairs and mobility scooters available to borrow.
Magnificent late Victorian country house with extensive servants' quarters, gardens and wooded estate; 17th-century gatehouse and long gallery; The ultimate 19th-century 'Upstairs/Downstairs' experience; Fabulous collection of spring-flowering magnolias and bluebell woods. Cycle trails through woodland to suit all abilities.
In towns of Bodmin and Lostwithiel. Lostwithiel Golf & Country Club.
In towns of Bodmin and Lostwithiel.
City of Truro (25 miles) Bodmin Moor (5 miles) Trerice (NT- near Newquay, 20 miles)
Unusually for Cornwall, the majority of the gardens are laid out above the house, providing spectacular views of the rooftops framed by flowers from the many walks through the hillside woods. Around the house, the lawns with formal parterres planted with roses and bedding plants and about 30 huge topiary yews provide a beautiful and restful setting.
At the edge of the lawns there are some fine trees, amongst them Copper beeches planted by William Gladstone and Lord Roseberry, the 19th century Prime Ministers, and an extraordinary Field Maple covered in mosses and lichens. In the Higher Garden some astonishingly large stands of rhododendrons and camellias provide huge splashes of colour in spring and early summer. These contrast with the magnolias, some of which form a tunnel of blossom and which are complemented by drifts of white Pheasant's Eye Narcissi in the Top Walk.
The house dates from 1634, but was radically re-modelled by George Gilbert Scott in 1857 for the 1st Baron Robartes. At the same time Scott laid out the garden in a formal design with low crenellated walls dividing it into sections. The design was simplified before WWII, although the parterres remain. In 1914 Lady Clifden laid out herbaceous borders surrounded by a semi-circular yew hedge which was augmented by the National Trust in 1971 by completing the circle and planting more beds. The 7th Viscount Clifden imported more spectacular varieties of shrubs and trees after he inherited the property in 1930.