Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
Sunday 24th April Sunday 12th June & Sunday 2nd October 2016 10.00am - 4.00pm Groups can book for guided tours throughout the year, by appointment only.
Apart from NGS open days,
For residents of the hotel of guests dining in the restaurant and lounges
Sunday 24th April Sunday 12th June & Sunday 2nd October 2016 10.00am - 4.00pm
April - October
Adults £5.00 (for NGS); Children complimentary
Dogs welcome on a lead. Limited facilities for disabled.
Oak Room Restaurant at Hotel
Large garden of 66 acres with extensive woodlands and fine vista being restored with new planting. Fine avenues of wellingtonias; rhododendrons and azaleas, Italian garden, lakes, large water and rock garden, dry stone walls originally designed with assistance of Gertrude Jekyll.
Whilst there is some debate, it is recorded that a mansion house has existed on this site since 1561, although it is known that the first Tylney Hall was built about 1700. That building was demolished by William Pole-Long-Wellesley, later the 5th Earl of Mornington who had inherited it, either for the price of the materials, or in order to sell the timber on the estate. A possible explanation is that by the terms of the Trust, timber could not be felled within sight of the house, so he pulled it down. Timber, particularly in Hampshire, relatively close to the naval Dockyards at Portsmouth, was then at a premium.
The Hall as it now stands was built at the end of the 19th century under the supervision of Sir Lionel Phillips. It has served in a variety of roles since, including a Hospital and an ASC base for mules in the First World War and in the Second World War, the headquarters of Clan Line Steamers Ltd., the then famous steamship company owned by Lord Rotherwick, who had bought the Hall in 1919. It became a school in 1948, until it closed in 1984. It then re-opened as a hotel, after extensive refurbishment, the following year. It is now one of a string of luxury hotels owned by Elite Hotels.