Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
Please check with garden owners or their website to confirm current dates open Garden: All year; daily; 10am - dusk
House closes on 30th October
12th Mar - 30th Oct; Sat - Thurs; 11am - 4:30pm
Open Good Friday.
Hall of House & garland: 14th Nov - 31st Dec; daily; 11am - 4pm closed on Christmas day and Boxing Day
Late spring/early summer.
Adult £10, child £5, family £25, family (1 adult) £15.
Garden & Mill only: £6, child £3, family £15, family (1 adult) £9. Reduced rate when arriving by cycle or public transport
Dogs allowed only on woodland walks.
Tudor house with superb collections of textiles, armour and furniture, set in extensive grounds; Riverside gardens with great seasonal variety; Ghostly goings on: hazy figures, music and a strange herbal smell; Full winter events programme; Take a boat trip on the River Tamar from Cotehele Quay New for this year is our new Mother Orchard. An orchard planted with over 100 old Tamar Valley varieties.
Well House Hotel, Liskeard Tregondale Farm, Menheniot, E of Liskeard
The Old Rectory, Keyne, nr. Liskeard
A fourteen-acre garden with the house and outbuildings at the top of a combe which drops down to the river Tamar and Cotehele quay, mooring for the last of the Tamar barges. The garden around the house is laid out in the formal manner although the area around the courtyards and barn displays hundreds of daffodils under the sycamores. From this, the Upper Garden with its sloping lawns, herbaceous borders and lily pool at its centre can be reached and a spectacular Tulip tree and a Tree of Heaven found. Panoramic views of the Tamar valley can be obtained from the Prospect Tower. There is also a dovecote and stewpond from which a stream with pools and runnels dropping down to the river supports bog plants such as primulas, marsh marigolds and Gunnera. This woodland part of the garden is planted with native trees and more exotic species cleverly interspersed to give a natural look. The rhododendrons, especially 'Cornish Red', and azaleas, magnolia, camellias, enkianthus and kalmias provide a fine display in Spring.
Dating from mediaeval times, Cotehele was enlarged and re-built in the Tudor era by Sir Richard and Sir Piers Edgcumbe, of the family who owned Cotehele for almost 600 years. However Richard, the son of Sir Piers, built another house at Mount Edgcumbe and moved the family there, with the result that Cotehele remained relatively unaltered. However the facade of the house was re-built in 1862 together with the terraces below. Shortly after ornamental tree and shrub planting commenced at the head of the valley and later with the arrival of the railway viaduct in 1905, screening conifers were planted. The Trust have continued the planting tradition and a new arboretum has been created on Nellson's Piece.