Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
5 Apr - 27 Sept; Suns & BH Mons also Weds & Thurs in June, July & Aug; 12pm - 5.30pm, last entry 4.30pm.
House and/or gardens available for private parties of 20+ on Tues, Wed & Thurs from April - mid Sept.
Opens 1.30pm - 5.30pm, last entry 4.30pm
May and June
Iris, wisteria and lilacs, old fashioned roses, peonies, lavenders and herbacious plants
House & Garden, Adult £10; First child (5-16) £5; 2 or more children free, Children under 5 free Garden only, £5., First child (5-16) £2.50; 2.50 or more children free, Children under 5 free Private tours Tues - Thurs, April - mid Sept (min 20 pers. max 55) Adults £11; Child £5.50
Site is unsuitable for physically disabled.
Rare Plant Fair, Sunday 12 Jul 2015 - 11am to 4pm. Entry - £6.00 per person over the age of 16, includes entry to walled gardens.
The Knoll, Shiplake
Several in Henley-on-Thames
Walnut Tree, Fawley Stag & Huntsman Inn, Hambleden Five Horseshoes, Maidensgrove
Stonor Park is a large 3-acre garden behind the Mansion House on a south-facing slope, with spectacular views of the beautiful wooded deer park across and down 2 valleys. The garden features in a 17th century picture which is on public view in the house.
The garden is divided between the original pleasure garden directly behind the house with 17th century terraces and 2 ponds. Adjacent to that is the old kitchen garden now planted with large and long rose and shrub borders interspersed with mature and large apple trees as well as clipped yew trees and long home-grown box hedges. Flowers include daffodils and narcissi to the north of the walled garden, good blocks of irises, roses and herbaceous plants. At one end of the long
northern border is a pretty summer house built circa 1920. In the 2015 the Shrubbery, which was badly damaged in the 1991 storm, will be opened to visitors for the first time.
We have no knowledge of who designed the garden, except that the present Lady Camoys in the 1980's converted the old kitchen garden to the north west of the house into an enlarged pleasure garden. Mention of a new garden is made in 1480 in the family papers, and recent research provides evidence of a walled medieval garden with terraces to the south of the house. This area is now a large lawn open to the park in typical 18th century taste.
To the west of the house and directly behind it, the original pleasure garden remains with two 19th century ponds and an early 20th century summerhouse. In the 19th century, glass houses were built along the northern wall, but have now been removed.