Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
1st May - 30th Sept; daily; 2pm - 5pm Guided Tour of Walled Garden, Wed; 2pm. Alternate phone: 1 872 7777 or 1 816 9914
Only. Except Weds
June, July, August
Comprehensive plant collection, particularly Southern Hemisphere plants.
Adults, € 4.50; Children under 12 (accompanied) and Over 60s; free Guided Tour of Walled Garden € 4.50 Groups € 4 pp
Fry Model Railway display, Exhibition of 'Taras' Dolls House & dolls in period costumes and Malahide Castle. Dogs allowed in park only.
Walled Garden, 7 glasshouses, collection of Auricula primulas and Southern Hemisphere plants. Further developments assisted from the ERDF grant through the Great Gardens of Ireland Programme.
Malahide Town Coastal town - sandy beaches Broadmeadow Estuary - Wild life Sanctuary
The purpose and content of the Talbot Botanic Gardens was well described by Lord Milo Talbot in his introduction to The Endemic Flora of Tasmania. He said of himself that He inherited a house and with it a garden and more important still, they were in a climate favourable to growing many of the tenderer and less common plants. An interest in gardening developed and inevitably, led over the years, to the collecting of plants especially the rarer and more delicate kinds, with a particular emphasis on Southern Hemisphere plants.
The gardens now cover an area of just over 8 ha, with 7 ha of shrubbery and the remainder a walled garden. Because of the alkaline nature of the soil, Ericaceous plants do not do well here but this is in many ways an advantage because the gardens are not dependent on the more usual rhododendrons and other relatively showy plants seen so often elsewhere. Olearia, Hebe, Escallonia, Nothofagus, Syringia, Hypericum, Clematis species, Euphorbia, Eryngium, Hosta and Crocosmia spp all thrive here.
There are also some notable trees in the gardens including a large Cedar of Lebanon, and an Oak as well as many magnolia, pines, junipers and acers. Seven glasshouses, ranging from the large Victorian Conservatory to a small melon pit house, all have their own group of plants.
A tradition of ornamental gardening has been associated with Malahide Castle since the late 1800s, a tradition which the former Dublin County Council was anxious should continue on learning of the impending sale of the estate in 1975. It was acquired by them the following year. It had been a kitchen garden supplying fruit and vegetables to the Castle and replaced an even earlier garden to the south east of the castle, but the Ordnance Survey map of 1872 notes an ornamental garden in 1872 when the triangular section at the North West was sectioned off for flowers. This area was extended by Lady Isabel Talbot, a very keen gardener, after she arrived at the Castle in 1902. It was again extended in 1946 by Lord Milo Talbot to contain his burgeoning plant collection. Fingal County Council are continuing to add to the collection.