Gardens-Guide.com is the premiere open gardens directory in Britain today.
Gardens open - 4th March-28th October 11am till 4pm on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays
Sweet pea week - open daily 1st-8th July
Autumn Country Market - 2nd September
Children's Activities - October Half Term
Groups of 15+. Please book in advance
Spring Early Summer Late Summer
Snowdrops, Meadows, Sweet Pea Week and early annuals, cottage garden at its peak Late annuals in trial beds, gunnera and greenhouses at peak
Adults £7.50 Children £3.50
See own website for other events.
400-year-old 'lost' gardens of Lincolnshire. Lots to do for all the family. Swathes of snowdrops during February, 100's of sweet peas during June and July as well as meadows, David Austin roses, yew tunnel, turf maze and swing.
Red Lion, Stathern Olive Branch, Clipsham
The Cholmeley Arms, Burton le Coggles Red Lion, Stathern Olive Branch, Clipsham
Grimsthorpe Castle Stamford Woolsthorpe Manor Oakham
The aim of the restoration at Easton is to re-discover the original garden layout, and especially the original terraces, but combine it with modern techniques and planting. In this, the owner and her head gardener are being aided by commercial suppliers of roses, irises and by nurseries, all of whom are helping to enable new collections of plants to be established.
The cut flower garden was set up in 2004 and is supplemented by a Turf maze, Auricula Theatre, Velvet Border, Cottage Garden, Woodland Walk and meadow plantings. The visitor now has a rare chance to see a 'hidden garden' emerge and be recreated and modernised in new and exciting ways.
The 12 acres of gardens at Easton date back to 1592 when Sir Henry Cholmeley bought the Manor. The Manor itself, standing on a site overlooking the River Witham, remained unchanged until 1805 when Sir Montague Cholmeley altered and enlarged it. His successor then replaced much of of it with a Victorian building, including two new facades and wings and added an enormous glass orangery and conservatory on its South and West sides. Lawns to the South were full of statues, fountains and bedding schemes. Ha-ha's gave uninterrupted views of the parkland with fine trees and impressive views. You reached the parterre from the great terraces which dropped down to the river. Fine yew hedges through the gardens ended in an ornamental gate which led to a double row of ancient lime trees.
Franklin D. Roosevelt, later President of the USA, spent his honeymoon here in 1905 and described the place as a Dream of Nirvana...almost too good to be true. Easton Hall was requisitioned at the start of World War II and suffered considerable damage. It was never used as a family house again and in 1952 was abandoned and pulled down.
Although overgrown with an impenetrable mass of sycamores, brambles and nettles, which had been untouched for 50 years, the lawns and terraces had held their shape and were waiting to be re-discovered. Work started in 2002 and is proceeding apace.